Field research, or contextual enquiry, is a method of researching users and their needs in their own environment.
What are the Advantages of Field Research?
- Users are better at explaining issues in context, rather than recalling
- You see where the usability pain occurs for everyday users
- You view the order of tasks
- You see opportunities, e.g. where users have to rely on external software tools to complete tasks
- You hear the language of users, so that it can be reflected in the system
- You learn system short cuts that users have discovered