What is A/B Testing?
A/B testing is an empirical method of testing design variations. It is useful for seeing which version of a design is more effective.
Imagine you have two versions of a website homepage. You want to discover which one is more effective.
- Define a goal — e.g. click “sign-up” button
- Show Homepage A to 50% of your visitors (chosen randomly)
- Show Homepage Version B to the other 50%.
- Use statistical analysis to see which version is more effective.
What are the benefits of A/B testing?
- Can be cheaper than usability testing
- Provides proof rather than opinions
- Tests are invisible to live users
- Allows you to trial new designs before roll-out
What Should You Test?
- Choice of images
- Layout of pages
- Choice of words in headings
- Size, colour and placement of headings
- Amount of text on the page
- Design of forms